Thursday, October 14, 2010

MID-SEMESTER REFLECTION: First College Experience At All



1.) After studying 21st century media for eight weeks in this class, what have you learned? Please be specific.

I've learned about the backgrounds of television, newspapers, radio, music- and movie industry. I can use the power tools in daily life and think more deeply about what I see on TV and hear on the radio.


2.) What is the most important thing you have learned about yourself as a critical reader, a writer, and a thinker in this class so far?

There are some hidden aspects and hints in every commercial on television, radio, newspaper and magazine. I knew that before, but now I can identify them specifically and now how to deal with them.


3.) What's one thing you would do differently this first half of the semester if you were to take this class again?

I would/ could learn more for the quizzes and class. I could spend more time with homework and the things we learned in class.


4.) What's one thing you would like me to do differently this first half of the semester if you were to take this class again?

You did a great job! I have to write something, so maybe if we have the time in class, you could talk more about our class blog comments and our personal blog entries.


5.) Please comment on the usefulness of the power tools, our course blog, your personal blog, our in-class quizzes, our films, and our book(s) as learning tools.

Power tools: Now I can identify the tricks which are used by companies to persuasive us to buy their products.

Our course blog: I don't have to write down what we have to do for next class. If I forget something I just can look it up on the blog. Additionally I can read about other's personal stories with the topics and get to know them better. Furthermore I can test and improve my knwoledge by reading the comments by the other class members.

Our personal blogs: I think this is a good way of testing the knowledge of us. I like to share moments, ideas and things with other people. The freedom with choice of topics is great. The only difficulty for me is, that I would prefer to write in German, because when I write in English I can't express myself in a way I want to present my thoughts.

Our in-class quizzes: I like them, because only by repetion our brain can remember and internalize the things we've learned. It pressures us to study the power tools and to use them.

Our films: I liked the film " The Vision Of Students Today". It was kind of scary how college could be. I'm glad that not every university must be this way. I sent the link to some of my friends and family members.

Our book: Sometimes it's kind of "boring" to read every single detail about one topic. But in the end everything fits together and I have the feeling that I know more than before and can use this knowledge outside of the classroom, too.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent reflections here on our course at mid-term, Sabrina.

    Glad to hear the course is working for you thus far.

    It is so nice having your perspective from the other side of the ocean in our class.

    Onward, and Audeamus!

    Dr. W

    ReplyDelete